A Rainbow Cake is the perfect way to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or any other special occasion! A vibrant, tiered cakey creation is a sure-fire showstopper and is guaranteed to impressive when presented to any table.
In this week’s blog we have a deliciously moist rainbow recipe, incorporating six tiers of colourful sponge, covered with a cream cheese icing. Can you think of anything more eye-popping and delicious?
For the cake:
360g caster sugar
360g self-raising flour
4 tsp vanilla extract
Red food colouring
Blue good colouring
Yellow food colouring
Green food colouring
Purple food colouring
Orange food colouring
For the icing:
220g cream cheese
700g icing sugar
Preparation/Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 mins (approx.) preparation and 20 minutes cooking time
- Grease and line six 20cm cake tins (or you can use three tins and simply repeat the below process). Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C for a fan oven or Gas Mark 4.
- Put the butter (softened), sugar, flour (sifted), eggs, milk and vanilla extract into a bowl and mix well. Ensure the mixture is light and creamy.
- Divide this mixture between six mixing bowls. Add red food colour to the first bowl, blue to the second, yellow to the third, green to the fourth, purple to the fifth and orange to the sixth. Add small amounts of food colour each time to make sure you achieve the right shade. Combine each of the mixtures together well. Pour each bowl of sponge batter into a separate tin and level out the mixture. Put all tins in the oven for approximately 15 minutes – 20 minutes, or until each is firm to the touch. Take out the oven and leave to cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, you can make the icing. To do this, put the butter (softened) and cream cheese into a bowl and beat. Sift the icing sugar and add this to the mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Once cool, put the purple sponge on a cake board and spread with a little of the icing. Continue putting each coloured sponge on top of another, to mimic the colours of the rainbow. Cover the cakes with the remaining icing.
- Chill in the fridge.
- Decorate with coloured sprinkles – or any other decorations you would like to use – then serve and enjoy!
Do you need cake tins or mixing bowls to complete this – or any other – recipe? Trevor Mottram in The Pantiles should be your destination of choice.
Trevor Mottram is located in the heart of The Pantiles and has been for over forty years. Their shop stocks everything a kitchen, cook and baker needs.
From cake tins to whisks and mixing bowls to cutlery, they will help ensure all your recipes come up trumps!